-->

Friday, September 9, 2011

dry dock: day 4



Hello world! I am currently sitting at a Starbucks in Victoria, BC with a few comrades from work. I'll be here for the next week and a half for dry dock! It's nice to be in one place for a little bit of time for a change, to have a chance to discover the fun spots. Our days are shorter which is great. Instead of the usual 9 to 11 hours a day, it's a normal 8. I've been doing a lot of random jobs. All of us from the Entertainment department wait in one place until someone radios us asking for x amount of people to go to an area to do something for them. I've done trash runs, carpet moving, fabric sorting, vent cleaning, furniture moving, all sorts of dirty, dusty jobs. We got our very own set of coveralls and gloves which are kinda fun to wear. Our bodies are taking a slight beating but don't get me wrong, it is a welcome change.




As we arrived from Vancouver to Victoria they held a Sail Away Party up on deck 9. It was fun to do something together that wasn't work and to mingle with some of my friends in other departments. A good start to Dry Dock! 

In our off time we're free to leave the ship any time, 24 hours a day and they have a free bus that runs back and forth to town for anyone on board until 2 in the morning. Our first chance off the ship Sarah Jane and I met up with one of our friends from our traditions group and his spa friends and ate out at Fiamo, a little italian restaurant with an outdoor patio that we took advantage of. It had a heat lamp which kept us perfectly warm as the night cooled down, and even heated toilet seats in the bathrooms. I was amused. There I sat at a table with someone from Ireland (Keira), Northern England (Emily) and Scotland (SJ).

Last night SJ and I took a quick walk after work to Tim Hortons and a gas station for some snacks since it was the only thing open at 9:45. She had never had it before and it wasn't really that life altering. Just for fun though. She was telling me about a place called Greg's in Scotland, where you can get good food for cheap (SK you should go, if you haven't already!) and how good their breakfasts are. As if I needed more reasons to want to make a trip across the pond.

Anyway, hope all is well across the country and I should be better at my updates now that I know where to find good internet. We have free wi-fi on the ship for a portion of the day but it is worse than dial up most of the time and I can't be bothered. I had some pictures to share but as always, it's taking forever to load. I think we're moving on from here to do a little browsing. Another update soon. xo

4 comments:

  1. So, so happy you are having all kind of adventures! I miss you so much and can't wait for us to have mad chats and catch up. Let me know when you have some dece internet and hopefully I'll have some time to spare. It's been the craziest ten days of my life, and being a working adult really isn't all it's cracked up to be!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heated toilet seat makes me giggle...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "can't be bothered"- did you get that from your Scottish friend?? haha! they say that all the time.

    you're giving Newfoundland a good name- everyone's gonna think we're all as good looking as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and I've been to Gregg's! only for cupcakes and pain au chocolat though... I hear they have good sausage rolls?

    ReplyDelete