-->

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

on adjusting


Over the last few weeks, my knowledge of Korean culture has expanded by about 5000%, and I know I have barely covered the basics. Being here, living here, has been about adaptation on every possible level.

Things are different here.

I don't think I can emphasize just how much of an alternate universe experience this place is to what I've known. Thankfully within what surely would have been chaos and despair, I was given warm and welcoming people to help guide me in this country. And YouTube, thank GOODNESS for YouTube!

Lemme try to sum it up in point form:

The apartment:
I already mentioned I have to walk up five flights of stairs to get there, but did I mention that all of the appliances we own are in Korean? I know, I probably should have expected that! There's nothing like laundry day and trying to decide what button to push for the wash cycle to prove I'm not in Newfoundland anymore. 

The job:
It's been quite the learning curve adjusting to my job life since I've been here. Familiarizing myself with the curriculum and getting to know the kids have been the most interesting challenges. Playing with children and teaching them aren't one and the same, believe it or not. I've been learning to simplify my words, speak more slowly and repeat myself a lot. I get surprised by something different almost every day but funny enough, kids are kids no matter where they are from.

The location:
Yeosu has a beautiful, rugged coastline and many hiking trails made for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages. I think that's where the familiarity between here and home ends. I'm used to the quiet of my small populated town where people wave hello even if they don't know you and I have to drive ten minutes to get to a store. Buildings don't reach higher than a story or two. Here however, the streets are kept pretty busy, cars don't always stop at red lights or for pedestrians, and you will see tons of illuminated signs of mismatched businesses that reach to the sky.

These are not necessarily negatives, mind you! Just different. I practically step outside my apartment and within a few blocks I have most everything I need. Emphasis on need. If you need a coffee shop, mini-mart, bakery, or a grocer for basic veggies? Great! There are plenty of those. If you want a decently priced/familiar clothing shop, or something fancy like coconut oil, you'll have to go a little farther. Or, order online! 

The food:
Koreans have a style and tradition of their own when it comes to their food culture. There are special social cues and formalities for the way you present food or drink to each other. Then there's other visible aspects: I've of course enjoyed many meals seated on the floor in my living room or bedroom at home but never before have I had meals while sitting on the floor of a restaurant. I was pretty excited for it! I have to say it was fairly comfortable and cozy with the heated floors and pillows! If you don't mind a few inevitable 'pins and needles', I recommend. 

You also have to turn your heat tolerance up a notch or seven to be able to enjoy many of the dishes. I taste test the kimchi every time I see it on the table but I aways make sure there's plenty of water close by. 

The language:
I knew I didn't mind being around conversations that didn't involve English from all my time on the ship. I was used to picking up a word here or there to get a satisfying general gist of what my Mexican or Brazilian friends were discussing next to me. Of course, they weren't ever trying to be rude, it's just natural to revert to your native tongue when you are with people who know it too. All those years studying French taught me that!

Here I don't understand beyond "annyong-haseyo" aka "hello". 

Guys, the biggest struggle of all is not having the ability to ask for help or directions from a local. Sure, you can manage to express a question through some artistic pointing and miming, but unless they are willing to point and mime back, their answer is just a bunch of strange sounds no matter how kind it is for them to try. 

Thankfully all of my solo moments of communicating at stores or at coffee shops have been fine so far, with their kind attempts at meeting me half way. For example, a nice lady at Emart pointed out that I could get 20% off my shampoo and conditioner if I bought them together (even busting out a calculator to show the price difference). And the only English word involved was "shampoo!"


Despite these 'minor' differences, I am really enjoying my time here. Learning about the differences and truly experiencing them was part of the reason why I wanted to come here in the first place. If I wanted a lifestyle change, I've defs got it.

*Above photos taken at the Yeosu Expo 2012 site // hanging with Yeosu's adorable mascots.


No comments:

Post a Comment