-->

Monday, March 29, 2010

computer lessons and aeroplanes


I spent all of today with my nan. Our original plan was to make homemade bread but once again I could not fall asleep for foreverrrr last night and ended up sleeping just a little too late to start it. So it's postponed til tomorrow. At least I got my 8 minute Abs and Buns workouts in. Lolz.

Gotta love the 90s--hilarious.

After our dinner of moose stew, we spent the afternoon at her old place to sort through boxes and to pick up some supplies for the bread (she's in transition of moving from her house to a smaller apartment). Before we left, I played the piano for a bit while she took a little rest on the couch--good for both of our souls. We went back to the apartment and started making supper of chicken, scalloped potatoes and veggies, and watched the news.

Then I dared to take on the task of teaching my nan about the wonders of email. My mom and auntie went in on a laptop together for her Christmas present and she's only had a lesson here and there on how to use the internet. Just about every time I visit I try to show her something she can look up.

I have to say it was pretty cute trying to convince her of an email address at all. Even though she'd been saying all along that she wanted to get an email one day, she was suddenly fighting me saying she didn't want to do it now, she'd do it later; I could tell the idea intimidated her. I assured her it was only for practice if she decided she didn't like it or want it later, that it could be "thrown away".

We finally chose a name for her, and I had to explain the difference between the email address and the password, that the email address is what other people see, and that the password is only for your own use to access the page and not for anyone else. I showed her the inbox, and where the messages go. We then went through the process of signing in and out a few times. I also wrote out the steps for her for when she attempts it herself. It brings me back to being 12 and having someone set up my hotmail account for me.   

Other news, looks like Option A is here to stay. I got an email that Capt. Jason booked my flight for the south today: I'm officially leaving on May 27th. I have to be at the airport by 4am to catch a flight to Toronto, fly down to Miami, then back up to arrive at my destination of Charlotte at 4pm. This is the most indirect round-about way I will have ever taken in my flying history. It's going to be such a miserably long day of sitting and running to catch flights. Sigh.

Note to self: look up Teach for America.

No comments:

Post a Comment