-->

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

st. john's days

As I've already said, it's been a few years since I've experienced summer in Newfoundland. I've been making plans to get out there and enjoy as much of it as much as possible. In less than two weeks are the St. John's Day celebrations, you know, to celebrate the birthday of our fair city. They've got lots of things going on to taste, see and do. If all goes well, my sisters and I are going to spend that weekend in town and we've made up a schedule to try and fit as much in as possible.

It's been forever since I've done something like that. In fact, I don't think I've ever sat down and planned my own sight seeing trip. In the past, sister trips downtown usually involved catching the bus with no set plan for the day and we've always enjoyed ourselves. When making plans with friends I'm usually the agreeable one, up for anything, which is great but usually leaves me trusting someone else to deal with the details. This is like a test run. It's in a place I've been to a few dozen times, but we'll be looking at it a little differently. This time around I'm kind of excited to have a plan of action, and to even have a little research already done in preparation.

What are we looking forward to doing, you may ask?

Well, we're hoping to catch a "spooky performance" held in the Newman Wine Vault, which has a pretty cool history. In the late 1600s, on its way to London, a Newman's ship was knocked far off its course by pirates and bad weather. They ended all the way over here in Newfoundland and because of the winter approaching, sought shelter in St. John's until the spring. When they returned to London with their cargo of wine, they discovered that the taste was improved. From then on, they continued to bring over their port to mature in the vaults in Newfoundland, and this wine proved to be very popular with the local pub goer and aristocracy alike. And to think I've walked past this place on numerous occasions without realizing it.
We want to go by Quidi Vidi Lake where there will be some races by crews from the Royal St. John's Regatta. I've always missed Regatta Day which is a big deal in August, so I'm guessing this will be a little sample of it. There'll be other things going on in the area while we're there too.

The Railway Coastal Museum is a possibility. Trains are cool.

We're definitely going to Cape Spear which, in case you didn't know is the most easterly point of North America. Haven't been there in years so it better be a nice day! It tends to get pretty cold around here. I want to visit the lighthouse and check out what they've got going on for the Whale Festival. Hoping to actually see some whales while we're there too.

I'm pretty excited to attend the free workshops going on at the Craft Council of NL Clay Studio. I've never been, and I haven't sculpted anything since the basket in grade eight art class. Wait, that's a lie. I once made an armless mermaid sculpture at a workshop when I went to Encounters with Canada back in the day. Anyways, it's a lot of fun. I should do it more often.

Again, if the weather's good, one night Janessa is having a bonfire for her birthday festivities. I'm looking forward to hotdogs and marshmallows and warming up by a blazing fire. Beach fires make it feel so much more like summer.

I happen to think this weekend trip will be a lot of fun.  There's a few more things we're hoping to squeeze in too, meals at some places my sisters have never been before, like the Duke or the Yellow Belly and some sort of musical entertainment. We'll include some bonding with Nan and go to church Sunday morning too.


Having something to look forward to makes the daily grind easier to manage. 


Also, bear with me, I'm testing out some new looks for my blog. With it being a new year and all, I want a new look to reflect it. It's a little on the plain side to me right now. I'll get it right eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment