-->

Monday, June 27, 2011

st. john's weekend - part 1

(proud parking moment)
Catherine and I spent this past weekend in St. John's for the occasion of the St. John's Days as I mentioned in a previous post. We didn't get to do all that we had originally hoped to do, but we definitely didn't feel like we missed out. Some things were switched, skipped, or replaced and it was just what we needed!

Friday we were a little later getting into town than we had planned as we were held back by police directing traffic around a nasty accident along the highway. I sincerely hope they are okay whoever they are. A bit of a sad start to a trip, but we took more caution with our own driving.

Since we arrived late we were a little late getting to the Newman Wine Vaults for the Shakespeare by the Sea skits, late enough that they had the doors locked. There happened to be another visitor trying to get in and we conspired ways to try and get someone's attention. We were about to give up and were around the corner when the fellow reject ran to tell us the door was open (because he had practically kicked it down). It was an interesting experience to say the least. I think I mostly enjoyed the atmosphere, that it was glowy in the candle light and just plain old and rustic. I like old things.

Afterwards we decided to walk around and figure out where we wanted to eat supper. As we did, we came across some of the cast and crew from The Republic of Doyle doing some filming on Duckworth. Pretty cool to stumble upon. The only person we recognized in the crowd was Marthe Bernard, who plays Tinny. We then settled on the Yellow Belly. It was blocked, upstairs and down with only one little table left meant for us. I had pizza and she had a burger & fries which sounds kinda boring but it was so delicious. Not your typical greasy feed; this was the good stuff. Catherine kept making funny faces the whole time, and I can't recall why haha.
(ignore my scary eyes...)
From there we took a little walk around then headed over to Nan's house where we were to spend the next two (broken-sleep-filled) nights on her pull out couch. It's a really nice couch but a not so nice bed.
(I apologize to my friends who I did not inform of my visit to St. John's. This was a sisterly bonding trip after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment