-->

Thursday, December 18, 2014

#throwbackthursday

Does anyone remember back in the days of MSN messenger when group emails and those super long questionnaire surveys were ALL the rage? This was what we did before the existence of Instagram, Snapchat and Vine, dear children.

I remember getting so many from different people and even multiple ones from the same people but I never really bothered doing them myself. Ain't nobody got time for that! Err...apparently everyone else had time besides me, who deliberates far too long over the perfect answer and worries how someone could interpret it. I mean, how can you even pick your favourite song when choosing between top hits like, Hollaback Girl, Drop It Like It's Hot, and Beautiful Soul back in 2005?

But there was one evening that I finally sat down and spent ages hemming and hawing trying to fill one out. I triumphantly hit "send" only to have a big internet fail, which deleted the last hour of my life. I didn't try again. That was a life lesson right there, somewhere.

I have since come to believe that spending time thinking about and discovering what you like is not a waste of time at all and it's fun seeing how your interests change. Thinking about all of this came about because I was browsing through my neglected hotmail account and came across some old ones from Janessa and Sarah, smiling to myself reading their old answers and seeing how those answers have changed; feelings on tattoos, clothing styles, and favourite foods. I kinda wished I had given the list driven time capsule another shot!

In the spirit of Throwback Thursday, I decided to fill one out and share it here, with some minor additions and alterations. I figure in a decade or so, in a fit of nostalgia I'll come back and enjoy these delightful answers.

Click below to check out the survey.


Emily's #TBT Survey

1. What time did you get up this morning? 9am. That’s when I set my alarm anyway...

2. Diamonds or pearls? I don’t own either, but I turn to my cheap pearl earrings most often.

3. What was the last film you saw at the Movies? Mockingjay Part One - so good!


4. What's your favourite TV show?  Drop Dead Diva at the moment. Was recently catching up on a mix of GoT, Gilmore Girls, The 100, Grey's Anatomy and Republic of Doyle before that.

5. What did you have for breakfast this morning? Leftover sweet potato and ground beef breakfast casserole that I made. 

6. What's your favourite cuisine? Italian or French. Homemade soups and breakfast foods are also pretty up there.

7. What foods do you dislike? I can't do runny eggs, ever; I tend to avoid soda in general but Coke and Pepsi are the worst. I usually only drink them if there are no other options.

8. What is your favourite chip flavour? I enjoy most kinds but when I purchase them I usually stick with Original, Ketchup or Roast Chicken. Love me some crunchy Kettle cooked chips.
 
9. What's your favourite CD at the moment? Taylor Swift 1989. Can't deny it.

10. What kind of car do you drive? Chevy Cruz – the family car.

11. Favourite sandwich? Anything on soft, toasted bread, really.

12. What characteristics do you despise? Dishonesty, selfishness, egotistical drives.

13. What is your favourite type of clothing?  I'm torn between being comfortable and fancy. I could live everyday in leggings, boots and comfy sweaters, but I also love looking put together in a cute dress and heels. Depends where I am.

14. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? I have plenty of destinations on my wish list but I would like to start with Europe. Always been a dream to go to France and Italy. And there are lots of friends close by to visit along the way.

15. What colour is your bathroom? It’s got a white and mint green thing going on, which makes it sound nice. I cover the walls with my paintings, the only control I have in there.

16. Favourite brand of clothing? H&M. Modcloth, Urban Outfitters, American Eagle, and Target are a few more that I like to browse. I prefer to pick clothes that don't broadcast the brand too obviously, and aren't so trendy that it's out of style by next season. There are always exceptions.

17. Where would you retire? Somewhere in view of the ocean or a lake. My time cruising along the coasts of Alaska (and all of my tumblr browsing) makes a cabin in the woods seem like the most quaint, ideal location; complete with a handsome, plaid-wearing husband to chop all the wood to throw on a fire as I bake bread and make stew-because I'll be a fantastic little homemaker by then. I'd like to live in peaceful area that's close enough to a city that I wouldn’t have to drive half a day to see civilization. Much like the way I grew up only surrounded by trees and nature and stuff.



18. Favourite time of the day? If I can wake up for it, I enjoy the quiet of early morning, but I also like early evening around sunset. Otherwise, bedtime is the best time. 

19. What was your most memorable birthday? This year’s! I spent my birthday with Sarah and Brandon in New York and got to see Wicked for the first time on Broadway! It will be hard to top that!

 20. Where were you born? Newfoundland, born and raised.

21. Favourite sport to watch? The Olympics sums it up. 

22. What is your favourite hair trend? For the guys-I am surprisingly attracted to beards and man buns. It's kind of taken over. But I definitely love a good fade. For the girls-I'm still loving ombre hair. And red. Mermaid hair.


23. What is your favourite thing on the Internet? I still like Grumpy Cat, the Adventures of George Washington, hashtags, and a big thanks to Robyn for this find: Christian Girl Instagram.




 24. What fabric detergent do you use? Tide, whatever's around.

25. Were you named after anyone? Great Grandmother and my mother.

26. Do you wish on stars? Of course.

27. When did you last cry? A half an hour ago while watching the end of another cheesy Christmas movie. 

28. Do you like your handwriting? Yes, I do!

29. If you were another person, would YOU be friends with you? I’d like to think so.

30. Are you a daredevil? I certainly have my moments. I went skydiving in 2012, the most extreme thing I've ever done. I'd do it again. I also have the urge to climb things when I’m feeling restless.

31. Do looks matter? Yes and no. Attraction is important, but if they don’t have a kind personality to match then I wouldn't be interested, not in a romantic sense. Chemistry matters. Must love animals.
 
32. How do you release anger? Crying, yelling, running; depends how “hangry” I am.

33. Where is your second home? Disney Cruise Line. My longest home away from home.

34. What was your favourite toy as a child? Dolls, dinkies, or a pen and a notepad. Spent most of my childhood drawing mermaids.

35. What class in High School was totally useless? Economics. It could have been really useful, but it was difficult and dry learning it in French. Wish I could have done something a little more marketable like the East Coast Lifestyle kids. Although I did have a lot of interest in my friendship bracelets. Shoulda capitalized while I had the chance! 

36. Do you use sarcasm a lot? Only if I like you. Lolz.

37. Favourite movies? RomComs, Action and Drama. Epic movies about Utopian societies or Underdogs.  French films. Films that do justice to their books. Disney anything. ie. Amelie, Populaire, Beauty and the Beast, Hunger Games, LOTR, Thor, Harry Potter, Wreck It Ralph, Divergent.

38. Who's the last person to send you a letter in the mail? Paula! She sent me a postcard while she was travelling in Australia!

39. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Not usually

40. Do you think that you are strong? I surprise myself.

41. What's your favourite ice cream flavour? Cookie Dough

42. What are your favourite colours? They usually rotate between: All the shades of Blue, Mustard Yellow, Burgundy, Grey. My wardrobe choices make this the most obvious.

43. What is your least favourite thing about yourself? The way I sometimes doubt myself.

44. Who do you miss the most? My university, ship, and camp counselor friends. I can't begin to name them all.

45. What are your favourite hobbies? Painting, drawing, reading, journalling, photo-taking, travelling.

46. What colour pants are you wearing? Grey

47. What are you listening to right now? My dog, my little sidekick, napping on the floor.

48. Last thing you ate? One of the sugar cookies I made. An annual experience.

49. If you were a crayon what colour would you be? Teal or burgundy, probz.

50. Last person you talked to on the phone? One of my friends.

51. What is the first thing you notice about the opposite sex? Their eyes. Then their smile, style, and how they treat other people.
 
52. Favourite Drink? Water, fruit smoothies, coffee, tea, chai tea lattes

53. Do you wear contacts? Sometimes.

54. Favourite Day of the Year? Christmas! Or any day where I get to visit somewhere new.

55. Scary Movies or Happy Endings? Happy Endings.

56. Summer or winter? Fall wins, actually. But, to answer the question a bit of both. We get too much of the rainy in-between here.

57. Hugs or Kisses? Both, but if I could only have one I would choose hugs. Anyone can give you a hug, not everyone can give you a kiss. Loves a good snuggle.

58. What Is Your Favourite Dessert? Adam’s Peanut Butter Fudge Ripple Cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory, but I would settle for any kind of chocolate cheesecake, hotfudge brownie sundae, cupcakes, crepes, or yummy French macarons. There are way too many delicious desserts to choose just one.


 59. What Book(s)Are You Reading? Rereading 'Catching Fire', 'The Essential 55', 'Packing Light'. I'm in the middle of about half a dozen different genres. 

60. What Book(s) Do You Want To Read Soon? 'Not That Kind of Girl', 'Girl Boss', 'Yes, Please'. (Lots of girl power)

61. What Did You Watch Last night on Netflix? Drop Dead Diva

62. Favourite Smells? Maybe a big cliché but freshly baked bread, freshly cut grass, freshly brewed coffee and chai lattes; cinnamon, vanilla, 'So Pink' by Gap, I could go on.

63. Least Favourite Smells? Petrol, New Car smell, burnt matches, offensive amounts of cologne, my hair and clothes after being at a campfire-not to be confused with the campfire itself, that smell is glorious.


64. What's the furthest you've been from home? Either Hawaii, or Cartagena, South America! I didn't look up the distances. I have to admit, the last few years have brought me to some really beautiful places.


Well, I don't think things have changed for me much; it still took way too long to come up with these answers! Good fun though and I love to read the FAQs about other bloggers. 
Thanks for reading!


(photos from google and tumblr searches)

No comments:

Post a Comment