-->

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014


I sit here in disbelief that we have come to the close of another full year. The further I get from the regular routines of my high school and university days, the faster it all seems to go and the more unique my years seem to become.

Brave changes happened in this particular year.

I left my adopted family on the Disney Wonder to work on their newer ship, the Disney Fantasy. Sure, that might sound like a simple switch but it really wasn't. I knew my job responsibilities but was suddenly living in an alternate universe. I missed my friends and the closeness of my smaller ship, but I got into the swing of things and I'm thankful for the new friendships that formed and the confirmations I received there.

I went on my first solo road trip for my birthday. I may have already been travelling like it was my job (I've made that joke before) but I'd never ever planned an itinerary out on my own like that before. I was able to visit a handful of important friends from different parts of my life and it helped me reconcile pieces of my past. Quality time with good and longtime friends is the perfect cure. Getting to spend a few days each in Disney World, North Carolina, Nashville and New York in the process was unreal.

I made the bold move to give up my life at sea. You always know you've got to get back to a normal existence some day, it's just a question of when. Tis a strange transition to go from being in a different city or country every day for months on end to remaining completely still; to be reminded of who you used to be and merge it with the person you've become. I felt like I had lost a big part of myself. But I relished in free time with my family and friends. I relearned how to cook, remembered how to hold a paintbrush, and rediscovered a few settings on my camera. The period of stillness and personal projects was something I didn't know I needed.

I've enjoyed 2014, even if these few paragraphs fail to bring it justice. There have been many moments of doubt and yet many moments of pure joy. I look back with a heart full of gratitude for where I've been and the hearts I shared it all with. It's funny how much our plans change from the year's beginning to its end. I'm thankful that there's someone Else with bigger and better plans than mine, who helps turn even the seemingly worst events and failures into the stepping stones towards a beautiful life.

Here's to 2015 and all the twists and turns it has in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment