-->

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

dragon caves + attack of the gorillas


Alicia, Martha and I went on a little excursion to the island of Odongdo which is located just off of the coast of Yeosu. We took a cab for $6 and walked the pretty walkway to get there, grabbing some street food along the way. I'm not sure what they are officially called but they were very similar to mini donuts with a red bean paste in the middle! They were really sweet and fresh and I don't think I'll be able to pass them up whenever I spot them.


Our plan for the day was to have a picnic next to the Cave of Dragon. Yes, that's right, a dragon's cave. How cool is that? We walked along the green pathways and I could imagine how much prettier they will be in the spring and summer when everything blossoms. (Already forming plans to return.)



After climbing down a set of stairs that swung to the right around the edge of the cliff we could see other people gathering to see the cave. We climbed down some more rocks to get a closer look! I kept trying to spot Toothless or Daenerys but unfortunately I didn't have much luck.


We climbed back up over the rocks and found a flat rock to settle on for our picnic. The day was overcast but we enjoyed the view as we ate our miss mash meal of chicken wraps, jap chae and oranges. The ocean is a comfort to me no matter where I am in the world and while I can't say I've ever had a picnic next to a dragon cave in Newfoundland, it still felt like home.

A bamboo tunnel

 Lots of little lookouts around the island.

There is a barefoot shiatsu path which is apparently great for your overall well being. 
There was a sign about reflexology at the bottom. Maybe I'll give it a try in warmer weather.

We were eager to get moving again because of the slight chill in the air and decided to wander around the island a little bit more. Maybe it's just because it's my first time going somewhere fairly touristy here in Korea, but I don't think I've ever seen so many selfie sticks in all of my life! My roomie recently bought one and it really came in handy. It was her first time testing it out and we didn't have to feel awkward about using it AT ALL. There was literally one in every group of people that we passed. I think I'm now converted: I am a fan of the selfie stick in Asia. Who needs to bother a random stranger to take a semi-decent picture? Not us!

It can be a safety hazard though, so watch out for flying sticks to the face. They pop out of nowhere. We found this to be the case later in the tighter quarters of the Aquarium, but I'll get to that after I introduce you to this special feature on Odongdo, the "Penis Tree":


They actually have signs that point the way to this phallus shaped tree. They've got quite the sense of humour here!

Moving on...



After leaving the island, the girls lead me over to get a closer look of the 2012 Expo site and on the way we saw the Hanwha Aqua Planet! Once inside we found that it was an aquarium as assumed, but also the location for the "Alive Museum" where they have trick art displays for posing. I have always wanted to do one of those!

We decided to do both!

We had so much fun looking at the beautiful fish and penguins in the aquarium, reading the poor English translation signage and going around the art displays at the Alive Museum taking silly pictures together.





  Watching sharks and sting rays swim overhead? The tunnel was definitely one of the coolest parts. 

Then we went to the Alive Museum and I played some mean tricks...

But also helped a friend in need:

I grew really tall:

We even got captured by King Kong and Hulk:










Luckily we escaped and later on Martha and I had supper and watched a movie (My Neighbour Torturo from Studio Ghibli) in the safety of our apartment. It was much needed way to unwind after all the exploring we did this weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment