-->

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Training: Day Two & Three

The safety training we went through yesterday was the most fun and the most exhausting. We had some swimming exercises to do in the pool while wearing life jackets. If I didn't have a hard time swimming on my own, the life jacket definitely made it rough. Actually, I'm a terrible swimmer so it took all of my energy for the day. We had to swim the length of the pool and back wearing them, then take turns pulling a partner across one way, switching for the other. Andrew from Poland was my partner and he pretty much did all the work. haha.

We learned the 'caterpillar' technique wear you line off horizontally head to foot, hooking your feet under the arms or around the torso so you stay together when you propel backwards with your arms. Then we inflated a life boat, got inside and squished all twelve of us inside. Cozy little floating tent.

In the night a few of us took the sky train to downtown Vancouver and went to a little bar and grill by the harbour. Pretty sight with all the yachts and city skyline. The night was warm and it felt good to spend some time in the city for a few hours.

Today we had "Traditions" where we learned about the Disney company and how to best treat the guests. Disney is way bigger than I ever realized. I had no idea that they owned ABC or ESPN and had so many companies and projects under its wing. Walt Disney was quite the visionary, from humble beginnings with a genuine desire to make people happy. At the end of the session we all got our name tags. I have to say, it looks pretty cool.

When it finished at 3:30, my friend Nicole came to visit and we did a little shopping at the Pacific Centre and walked on Robson street. It was so so good to spend some time with her. Really just what I needed.

We're off to the boat tomorrow morning. We are to leave the hotel 'promptly' at 6:30 and so now I shall go and enjoy my last night in a big comfy bed. Wish I could take it with me!!

2 comments: