-->

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week One of my Alaskan tour


Tracy Arm was amazing. The ship travelled through a fjord and then stopped in front of a huge beautiful, intensely blue glacier. All around us in the water were chunks of ice and more seals that you could count. I’ve never seen so many. We hung out on the crew deck for a while taking it all in.

After awhile I went up to the higher guest decks for a different view, and watched everyone else enjoying themselves too. I have to say, I really enjoyed myself and even though it was chilly out, it was pleasant. No rain is a good day.

Skagway on the 19th was a pretty cool little town and the highest north that we go on this journey; the darkest it gets up here is dusk. This was our first chance off the boat since Tuesday. It is only one long street full of lots and lots of jewellery stores and tourist trap souvenir spots. Really fun to explore though. Apparently it’s great for hiking too, which I might try next time we’re there. Most of us from our Traditions training course went out together to explore which was nice, since our schedules will be drastically different starting next week. I love exploring with Carlos. Any time there’s a photo opportunity he looks at me with his Spanish accent and says “Emily, you have camera? Take picture!” When you’re with people who love picture taking as much as you do, it’s way less awkward. But I’m not going to shy away from playing tourist to the full. Alaska is super beautiful with all the trees and haunting mist that creeps over the mountains. I’m really loving it so far.

We stopped in Juneau yesterday but no one from my group got off, so I stayed on board too. The weather wasn’t great and I didn’t want to be by myself. Instead, I stayed on the boat and worked out my internet issues.

Today we stopped in Ketchikan, and even though it was another rainy day I didn’t want to miss another chance to get off and visit this new place. No one else wanted to face the rain so I ventured off on my own this time (Sorry, Mumsie). It was similar to Skagway in the types of shops but much bigger. I took a brief look around, bought myself a hot chocolate and waited for the free shuttle that takes you to Wal-mart. My Scottish friend has never heard of Wal-mart so I have to take her there sometime.

Since I’ve become a frequent visitor to Subway in the last couple of months, I was happy to see that there was one built in to this Wal-mart.  I was even further enthralled to learn that they have spinach and pepper jack cheese as some of their options! Um, yum. Someone tell me why is this not available in Canada, please?!

After that I rushed back on board and met up with our training coordinator to go around to some of the different kid spaces and chill with the kids. I love how many different nationalities you come across on board. I met a girl who said she was from Hong Kong, another from London. Tonight was the Pirate Party which was held indoors because of the gross weather, but was lots of fun nonetheless. You can’t go wrong with dancing along with the Disney characters dressed as pirates. Benji, Stephanie and Shiv conspired together and tried to convince Sarah and I that we had to get up there on stage and dance around with them because it was part of our ‘earning our ears’. Luckily they were just kidding. I’m not quite ready for that yet.

This is getting long so I’ll end here. If you read it all, you are awesome! I already feel like I’ve been here for ages, even though it’s only been a little over a week since I left home.  

I promise I'll add pictures soon, once I find some free and quicker internet on land somewhere. xo

1 comment: